Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Orphanage Visit

It's me, Barbara. Brian is Faith's comforter so he can hardly get away to the business center to post a message. I've really enjoyed watching him with Faith. She likes me fine and will laugh with me and let me get her dressed or take her to the bathroom, but when she is tired or distressed, she wants Brian. I think he is getting tired.

This morning we took a beautiful, one and a half hour drive through the country to the city of Fuling where the orphanage is. The countryside is amazing. The farm land is terraced or just planted on mountain slopes. I got LOTS of pictures. At the orphanage the vice directors met us (they are so friendly). They welcomed us and let us tour the first floor. There were only about 20 babies on the first floor and they were all sleeping. It was very different than the pictures I have seen. No one was in the facilities except the babies in the beds and about 4 nannies. Then, surprise of all, Fu Baoben's foster mother came to the orphanage. I was a little nervous about Faith seeing her again, because she had been with her for so long, but she seemed OK. In fact, she cried and reached back to Brian. The foster mother said she always liked her husband too, because he gave her gifts. She was very sweet and I was overwhelmed that I could tell her face to face how thankful I was for the wonderful care that Faith received in her early months. She shrugged and said it was her job, but I know she cared for her very much.

We drove back and the guide took me and BJ to a small "cafe" near the hotel to get some lunch to take back to the room. We cause such a scene when we all go out at once. Brian first catches people's attention by his height, then they crowd around to see Mckenzie. Some people touch her hair, pinch her cheeks. They sometimes pick her up and want their picture with her. Then they notice BJ is so handsome and ooh and ahh over him. Then they look in the stroller and see Faith and are confused. Everywhere we walk I have to hold on to Mckenze. At the Forbidden City there were so many people with cameras that we were treated like superstars. They even wanted their picture with me. Mckenzie got freaked-out afterawhile because 25 or more people would crowd around taking her picture, pinching her, and piking her up. One lady took her away to show to her family. I had to start getting rude after that by removing their hands from her and pushing them out of the way.

So now we prefer to go out in small groups. When BJ and I had lunch we also walked around a beautiful flower market, stalls and stalls of flowers. Brian went out later for McDonalds. Faith threw a fit when Brian wouldn't let her eat an entire milkshake! A very fierce temper on the girl. It's OK, Marshall broke us in. Her fits don't last long. Considering all the changes in her life, her happy nature out weighs her occasional fits.

Oh, and By the way, you may have known I was concerned about her ability to eat with her cleft plalate. Last night she ate a bowl of rice, a bowl of congee (chinese oatmeal), stirfry chicken, and a bowl of noodles. She loves cheerios and goldfish and just about everything. No problem.

God is so good. We are just stepping into the path He has set for us. Life is an adventure!

Barbara

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian and Barbara, You and your family are in our prayers. May God's blessing shine upon you and guide you. Have a safe trip home. We look forward to meeting Faith very soon. Jill

Anonymous said...

I love reading about what you are doing everyday. It brought tears to my eyes to see how blessed you are and how blessed we all should feel.

Annie

Nancy said...

I just wanted to send a little note to you guys to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Your whole family is amazing and Faith is a very lucky little girl. May God bless you and keep you safe on your wonderful journey.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Barb and Brian, we are so excited for you and praying for you daily. We can't wait to see all of you in a couple of weeks and meet your precious new blessing! Henry and Jack say Hi! to B.J. and McKenzie...can't wait to see your pictures.

Cris,Betty and their bevy of boys

Sandy Vincent said...

Can't wait to see all of you guys! I know the Lord has been gracious in every respect of the trip and we look forward to hearing it all when you get back. Praying for health and safety
Love, Sandy and Bob